Propose a Bass Connections Project for 2024-2025
Deadline: November 6, 2023
Bass Connections is now accepting proposals for 2024-2025 projects that engage faculty, undergraduates and graduate/professional students in the interdisciplinary exploration of complex societal challenges. Please see the project proposal guidelines. The deadline to propose a project is November 6 at 5 p.m.
Projects may be proposed in relation to one or more of the six interdisciplinary themes of Bass Connections, or to Bass Connections Open – a channel that invites proposals that align with the model of Bass Connections but otherwise fall outside the parameters of the existing themes.
- Brain & Society
- Energy & Environment
- Global Health (including U.S. health disparities)
- Health Policy & Innovation
- Information, Society & Culture
- Race & Society
- Bass Connections Open
Duke faculty, postdocs, graduate/professional students and trainees/fellows may propose projects; all projects must have at least one faculty leader.
Bring Your Questions to Drop-in Office Hours
Interested project leaders, particularly those who have never led a Bass Connections team, are encouraged to contact a Bass Connections theme leader or Laura Howes (Director, Bass Connections) with questions or to discuss potential project ideas. Faculty can also discuss potential ideas or ask questions during our drop-in office hours (https://duke.zoom.us/j/6666010362):
- Thursday, September 14, 10-11 a.m.
- Friday, September 29, 11-12 p.m.
- Monday, October 16, 1-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 1, 1-2 p.m.
Special Opportunities for 2024-2025
When completing a proposal, faculty may choose to take advantage of the following opportunities. Please note that applying for these opportunities will not increase your project budget, but rather may increase the likelihood that your project will be selected by allowing us to leverage funds designated for a specific purpose.
- Joint proposals for a Bass Connections project and a Summer 2024 Data+ project: You may propose a Data+ project for Summer 2024 linked to a year-long Bass Connections project through the Bass Connections RFP. You do not need to complete a separate application for Data+. Data+ is also accepting proposals for Climate+, a “vertical theme” focused on applying data-driven approaches to climate, environment and energy research. Please contact Paul Bendich or Gregory Herschlag with questions about Data+.
- Ethics: Funds are available to support projects that address ethical issues, broadly conceived, with a preference for projects that focus on the climate crisis; racial equity; inequities in health and wealth; civil discourse and democracy; global migration and refugees; and urbanization and the urban/rural divide. Please contact David Toole to discuss project ideas that might align with this area.
- Arts & Humanities: Funds are available to support projects in any area of research related to the arts and the humanities. Please contact Christina Chia or Victoria Szabo to discuss ideas for potential humanities projects.
- Read the 2024-2025 project proposal guidelines and check out sample proposals and perspectives from faculty who have led Bass Connections projects.
- Explore Data+ and propose a stand-alone Summer 2024 Data+ project.
- Check out our Virtual Showcase to see what Bass Connections project teams accomplished last year.